Skip to content

Main Navigation


Tax Filing for College Students 

Students who are single and earned more than the $12,550 standard deduction in 2022 are required to file a tax return. That $12,550 includes earned income (from a job) and unearned income (such as from investments). 

Whether or not you can be claimed as a dependent on your parents' tax return is based on your age, your student status, and who is paying the bills. Generally, a parent can claim you as a dependent until age 19, but if you are a full-time student, they can claim you as a dependent until age 24.

Tax Information

Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC)

The Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC) helps low-to moderate-income workers and families get a tax break. If you qualify, you can use the credit to reduce the taxes you owe --and maybe increase your refund.

Learn more


Free-Self Filing 

IRS Free File lets you lets you prepare and file your federal income tax online using guided tax preparation, at an IRS partner site or Free Fillable forms.



The IRS's Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) and Tax Counseling for the Elderly (TCE) programs offer free basic tax return preparation to qualified individuals. 

The VITA program has operated for over 50 years. Vita sites offer free tax help to people who need assistance in preparing their own tax returns, including: 

  • People who generally make $60,000 or less
  • Persons with disabilities; and 
  • Limited English-speaking taxpayers


Tax Forms 

IRS forms are documents used to report certain financial transactions, calculate taxes owed or prepare tax returns. There are hundreds of kinds of IRS forms, and the IRS reissues many of them on an annual basis to incorporate changes in tax rules. However, you probably don't need to care about most of them. 

Here are some major IRS Forms everyone should know.

Tax forms

Taxes (International Students)

International students and scholars, who receive income from a U.S. based source, are required to file federal tax returns with the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) by April 15, 2022. You may also be required to file state tax returns as well. Sources of U.S. income may include the following: on-campus employment, graduate assistantships (TA/RA/GA), scholarships, fellowships, grants, or earnings from OPT or CPT.

Learn more

Tax Clinic

File your taxes for Free!

Union Basement

Every Thursday Starting

March 2nd

from 11am to 1pm


  Schedule an appointment
Last Updated: 2/28/23